Whew! Another year has sped past and here we are stopping for a minute to take a breath and look back at where we have been.  Today is the 763rd salon since we started this journey in July 2007.   My first salon was Aaron Barlow, Rise of the Blogosphere, “we” have come a long way.  You have taken the salons to a respected and “the place to be” to discuss books and topics with authors and hosts.  Authors and Publicists line up to get a chance to get their books in front of you for a salon. The Hosts enjoy guiding the discussions with you and the authors.  Most of our guests are first time commenters on a blog site in a live discussion and they come away with tired fingers, and a smile.  They enjoy the salon, many comment that this forum has provided the best discussions of their works. The Book Salons are you, and a reflection of the great place Firedoglake is.

How do I come up with the books? From the mountain of books, emails, phone calls, and just listening, I try to select books that fit the topics I hear you talking about.  Not all books are best sellers, but they are topics you are interested in and I try to provide the facts and let each salon become a unique place.

I want to thank you the salon members, all of you, the ones who have started this journey with me and FDL, and a Hi and welcome to the new members – Welcome to the Lake.  You are the Book Salons!  Your interests and comments during the salons are what make them special.  This is your forum, your place to discuss books / topics with leaders in the field.  I’m proud to say to our guests that FDL and our readers are knowledgeable and ask intelligent questions, that they will have a great discussion. You keep the discussions lively and fun, and are not afraid to discuss dark and serious topics either. You keep the discussion on-topic and focused, which allows all voices to be heard.

I want to thank the FDL team behind the scenes, the hard working staff, many of them who go the extra mile to make sure the salons happen on time and with no technical issues. It is a pleasure to work with them every week.  I could not bring the salons to you without their expertise and guiding hands.

I want to thank FDL and Jane Hamsher. It was Jane’s vision that created the Book Salon concept for FDL and brought it to reality, and for the salons we have today.

Now for the chat.  What are you looking forward to this coming year?  Predictions?  Resolutions?  News?

What is on your mind?

165 Responses to “FDL Book Salon – End of Year Chat”

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hi everyone!
What’s on your mind?

cmaukonen December 28th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Well I don’t feel so bad now. Your desk is as messy as mine. Just exchange the books for radio parts. :-)

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:03 pm
In response to cmaukonen @ 2

I’ve been there – 30+ years in electronics

dakine01 December 28th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Thanks Bev for all the hard work and all the great books you’ve brought us this (and earlier) year(s)

Would you care to explain some of the high level process that goes into selecting books, contacting the authors/publishers and finding hosts?

cmaukonen December 28th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

HA – 50 years for me. And thanks for your work.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

While I think about future book salons, let me just say, BevW, that I think these salons are great! I don’t always comment, but I do almost always follow along…. and learn something each week. I am grateful for all your good work! Thanks.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

And has the Dulles book been rescheduled yet? I was really looking forward to that one. Was it weather or the ghosts of the Dulleses that squashed it like a bug? :)

Elliott December 28th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hi Bev!

You do a great job wrangling these cats – do you ever get a chance to read yourself?

Elliott December 28th, 2013 at 2:08 pm
In response to Dearie @ 7

yes, ooo-EE-ooo

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I receive several hundred books and emails from publishers, authors about new and upcoming books; I also read and note all the recommendations from our readers (if you took the time to contact me about a book, it carries a lot of weight). Then I start reading parts of the books to see if there is enough there to sustain a discussion with you. Then the emails start to the publicist / author, until a date is accepted or I am given a refusal for a salon. Then I do the same thing to potential Hosts, research, research and emails, and more emails, until a Host agrees. Review copies sent out, more emails, a quick personal call to our guests before the salons – and Salon Day!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:12 pm
In response to Dearie @ 6

Dearie, Thank you, I am surprised and amazed by how many members are really out there with us each week. I understand you not jumping in on every salon. Thank you all for being there. And yes, I learn things each week too.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:13 pm
In response to Dearie @ 7

Stephen Kinzer and Hugh Wilford rescheduled to next weekend – Jan 4th.

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Last time we had this kind of discussion, there were several suggestions about topics or interests…..Is anything particularly “hot” right now?

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:14 pm
In response to Elliott @ 8

LOL – I occasionally get to read a full book, usually a non-fiction, procedural, like Patricia Cornwell.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I’m currently reading Pat Conroy’s The Death of Santini. Dysfunctional families fascinate me, having been a product of one myself. I also like memoirs. Not political or progressive but still fascinating. Have you done any memoirs? Conroy is one of those authors that people either love or hate (kind of like Cormac McCarthy, and, yes, Tom Robbins.) I don’t know if Conroy would participate, but I can imagine a lively discussion of chaos, of family relations, of the 1950s and such. And since the country is currently riddled with narcissism, I can imagine some pointed comments to here and now. “Stand by for a fighter pilot!”

tuezday December 28th, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hey Bev, you do a great job with the salons. Love ‘em.

I finally happened to catch Glenn Greenwald mention a couple weeks ago that his next book would be out in March. In case you aren’t already aware of this. Since we love us some Glenzilla around here, we should be first in line to talk to him about the book :’)

Knut December 28th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hi Bev, and Happy New Year! I think the Salons are a crucial part of FDL. They open up books to beyond their normal (all too often academic) audience. I’v e learned a lot from them, and as I am a slow reader, the discussionns are a real help. All the books have their particular contribution, but the salon that most affected my thnking and discovered a new author was the one that dealt with Corey Robin’s book on Conservatism.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I took all the recommendations from the last chat – I have followed up on some and have them at the top of the list, trying to work them in.
I have yours on the list –
Jeffrey Kerr, SEAT OF EMPIRE
David Margolick, DREADFUL – The 2nd a biography; the first a history of how Austin became TX state capital.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:18 pm
In response to Dearie @ 15

Thanks, I’ll add Conroy to the spreadsheet. I may start doing more novels, if I think the readers would like them.

mafr December 28th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Did you look into William Blum? He was suggested by poster “Ecahnomics”.

He is one of the author/educators that helped me to understand the way America has acted over the last fifty or sixty years. I believe he has a relatively new book out.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:20 pm
In response to tuezday @ 16

Thanks for the heads up – just added it to my spreadsheet with a note. I’d like to have Glenn back at the Lake.

Knut December 28th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

The discussion of the book on the current Supreme Court by the Georgetown professor was enlightening, too.

I think the current balance is pretty good, but I think we might benefit from discussions of books about foreign countries, particularly Russia, China, Brazil, and India. There is surely good stuff out there.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:23 pm
In response to Knut @ 17

Knut, Thank you for your contributions to the salon too. I’m glad you found a new author, I am surprised by all the authors we have on. I learn something new every week. You are right, this is a good way to learn about new books and get the essence of the subject.

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Looks like a great start…I am always interested in the writers and varied they are in their responses. Very unpredictable.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:24 pm
In response to mafr @ 20

mafr, yes I have that book on the list and I’ll contact the publisher soon.

William Blum America’s Deadly Export—Democracy—the Truth About US Foreign Policy and Everything Else

Suzanne December 28th, 2013 at 2:25 pm

bev! you should write a book about book salon and detail how much work goes into putting these together. that was way too short of a sentence to describe all that goes into each salon.

thank you — you do amazing work and make it look effortless

i don’t know about anyone else but i sure could use some comedy to read lately

Knut December 28th, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thomas Piketty (of Piketty and Saez) has a new book out in French on the evolution of the distribution of wealth and income since World War II. It’s sure to be translated soon and would be a good bet. I’ll be at his insttute in Paris in two months and will chat him up on the possibility of an inter-continental salon. I believe Stiglitz has a new book coming out, too.

Teddy Partridge December 28th, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Well, this is good news (about the 1/4 Dulles book re-schedule) — I am marking my calendar right now!

I’ve loved Book Salon since its inception, and I am delighted it is now in such good hands, Bev. Your efforts are not unremarked in the publishing world, and are very much appreciated. My time at FDL has ended, but I’m happy to come by when I can to engage with authors and hosts about books I find worthwhile — which, of course, is almost all of them.

Keep up the great work, and kudos to all the Backstage Guys & Gals who keep this thing afloat from week to week as well. It is a truly delightful part of the blogosphere that I happily set aside time for almost every weekend.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2014 to you and yours!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:27 pm
In response to Knut @ 22

I do get foreign policy books about a lot of different countries. I’ll try to schedule a larger variety of them.

With 52 weeks a year, I keep saying there are not enough weekends to fit all the salons I’d like to do in!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Yes, like I tell the guests, I know where the salon will start – I never know where it will end up. (grin)

Teddy Partridge December 28th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Having a great-grandfather stonemason who contributed to the TX state capitol’s construction, I’m very interested in this book!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:30 pm
In response to Suzanne @ 26

Suz, thanks (she has see me “working” while on vacation).

Saturday – January 25th – Larry Getlen / Conversations with Carlin: An In-Depth Discussion with George Carlin about Life, Sex, Death, Drugs, Comedy, Words, and so much more

Teddy Partridge December 28th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
In response to Suzanne @ 26

I’ve not read it, but Rob Delaney’s “Mother, Wife, Sister, Human, Warrior, Falcon, Yardstick, Turban, Cabbage” sure sounds like it has, as touted by people I respect, been written by the funniest man on Twitter!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:32 pm
In response to Knut @ 27

I have the advance (April 2014) on Piketty’s new book – Capital In The Twenty-First Century, and I’m working with the Publicist.

tuezday December 28th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Bev, I guess you have given up getting Jeremy Scahill to do a salon on “Dirty Wars”?

I was really hoping you’d be able to get him here for a salon.

Suzanne December 28th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

woot! bev, you are the best!!!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Teddy, thank you! It was frantic here trying to get the salon online, calls, and emails – then Kinzer lost power in Boston. Stephen and Hugh immediately coordinated scheduled and we rescheduled. Hugh Wilford was one of my first salons also – and he stated he enjoyed the salon back in 2008.

Yes a big Huzzah for the back stage team. Thank you!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Thanks, and I’ll look into it.

I haven’t forgotten –
Cheryl Strayed
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail – http://www.cherylstrayed.com/wild_108676.htm

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:39 pm
In response to tuezday @ 35

tuezday – I tried for months to get Scahill scheduled to a Book Salon – and tried to get a Movie Night if possible. I may take another run at it for the paperback version.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I just received the 25th Anniversary edition of – A Bright Shining Lie, would this be of interest to you as a salon?

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Are you reading more digital books versus hard covers now? There are more books being self-published now digitally – is this expanding your reading lists?

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I just want everyone here to know:

I’ve hosted a few fdl book salons over the past three-plus years. Reading the books, getting close enough to them and their background to do the authors’ work justice, and helping the writers through the comments are always an adventure.

But the most remarkable part of being part of those efforts has been coming into contact with Bev Wright’s professionalism, dedication and good nature. We cannot thank Bev enough for her major role in making all this work so well.

{{{{{Thank you, Bev!}}}}}

PS – come join us tomorrow: I’ll be hosting one amazing adventurer, explorer, environmentalist and communicator – Roz Savage, the first woman (and 2nd person) to row singlehandedly around the world.

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Sounds good. Still instructive…

dakine01 December 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

yes – especially with Iraq and Afghanistan still going on

dakine01 December 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

More digital myself (free kindle e-books)

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

The Vietnam mess is still being fought, particularly now as some of the older vets are dying from what they suffered while there and then after. I, for one, would welcome a re-view of A Bright Shining Lie. Younger FDLers might also learn and some of our vets might offer insight.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Yikes! 25 years. A great book, though I disagreed with the author that Vietnam was somehow “winnable.”

We missed doing Eric Schlosser’s Command and Control. I’m picking away at it. Non-fiction version of Dr. Strangelove, sort of.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 2:49 pm
In response to Dearie @ 46

I played Taps at the funeral last summer of a USAF vet, who had spent his entire tour spraying agent orange. His daughter told me he was the last person in his unit to pass away.

EVERYONE ELSE WAS ALREADY DEAD!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:49 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 42

Thanks. Roz is an amazing person and I look forward to your salon tomorrow.

I’ve have the privilege to talk to our guests before the salons, and have met some fascinating people, and I am also surprised at how down to earth most of them are, funny, and nice people.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:51 pm

ok, moved up the list. Who would you recommend as a Speaker for Neil Sheehan?

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Same here, digital – as you can see from my desk.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:53 pm
In response to Dearie @ 46

Dearie, thank you, I lived through it too, USAF, state side doing ICBMs / nuclear maintenance, 25 stories under Kansas.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 47

I bought Eric Schlosser’s Command and Control – trying to work through it in my free time. I worked on the ICBM (Titan IIs) for 10 yrs.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 48

There are so many untold stories about that sorry ‘war’…..

Yes, let’s talk about it. We’ll never put it to rest, but let’s learn what we can.

PS: my own neocon twin brother tried to enlist but had a medical condition which prevented his entry. I lost friends and friends of friends and fiances of friends. My neocon twin brother is convinced we could have won if we’d just paved over the whole of South Vietnam. No words have I for that kind of thinking.

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hi Bev. Having hosted exactly ONE salon, I know what a mountain of work it is, and that doesn’t include all the organizing you do. I am in awe and bow down in appreciation of your greatness.

With the mention of “humor” above, Harry Shearer’s name popped into my head. I know he has his own blog and/or radio show, but when I’ve listened to him, I’m always struck by how intelligent and prepared he is on a topic. [I've heard a lot of his discussions with Yves Smith.]

I don’t know if he has anything out, or if he’d agree to be a host, or if FDL is too much “competition” for such collaboration.

I want to give you a special thanks for the book salon with Bill Moyers. He responded to a couple of my questions/comments, and I was as dumb-struck as a starry-eyed teenager. He also had a number of wise words about not getting overcome with disappointment and negativity. He’s magic to me, and I will always treasure that experience.

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I am also surprised at how down to earth most of them are,

I am surprised at the number of authors who can’t type or deal with the rapid Q & A format of a salon!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 2:59 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 55

Harry Shearer is a good recommendation, thanks.

Bill Moyers was a gentleman and a joy to work with.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Just stopped by to say Thanks to Bev and all the folks who make this possible. Book Salons are a like “Must See TV” for me.

Even if I’m not interested in the book I still schedule my day around it just because it’s so often interesting.

I’m on Reddit and I don’t usually enjoy their Ask Me anything events. I think because it’s usually too massive and a lot of dumb questions get asked.

When I think of my favorite interviews that I hear or read it’s usually with hosts who can ask insightful questions that bring out things in the book or in the authors lives that might not be available to the person who hasn’t read the book yet or that the author avoids. Terry Gross is one of my models for when I host.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:00 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 56

I’m not surprised that pretty much all of them that fit into this category are male.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 3:00 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 55

Hey, MM! Yes, getting a truly thoughtful response from a writer to a really thoughtful question a salon member has asked is amazing! We’re a pretty smart group here, and the writers are mostly really good about responding to us. Notable exceptions excepted!

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I too like the idea of Harry Shearer.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
In response to spocko @ 61

Harry Shearer is a treasure.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:03 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 56

Hi Mauimom. I remember when you and I were in a Book Salon (I don’t remember which) and the authors were giving really lame responses. We both did virtual eyerolls and ended up contacting each other to exclaim how lame there were. That usually doesn’t happen, but for me it was a great way to bond with an other FDL member who spotted it like me!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:03 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 56

Believe it or not – 80% of our guests, even today, have not done a live chat. I walk them through a practice before the salons, and I think most of them do a good job of keeping up with the rate of questions. After the first questions, they settle in and their personalities come out and we get to “talk” with them. I do tell them spelling is not mandatory (to keep the flow of the discussion moving forward, and after concentrating and typing for two hours it is ok)

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:06 pm
In response to spocko @ 58

spocko, thanks. I think you captured why the Book Salon works, smaller membership – and a focused discussion, not a free-for-all, which distracts from the message.

Thank you for Hosting salons – the are always interesting!

dakine01 December 28th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

too bad Halberstam is not still around. Although according to his wiki, he’s retired, Michael Herr (Dispatches) would make a good host http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Herr. I’ll have to think on some others.

Maybe SoS Kerry? (ducking)

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Have to laugh….. while I thought it would be fun to hear from Pat Conroy on his memoir of dysfunction, I realize that he said he writes on yellow lined paper….. maybe he doesn’t type at all. Maybe he could get a scribe who could type for him…. like so many doctors are doing these days — the young students rolling the computers around from exam room to exam room taking down everything the doctor says for the new electronic records. If you haven’t seen it yet, you probably soon will. Dying generation of the non-typers.

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

80% of our guests, even today, have not done a live chat.

Maybe you could organize some “training” or “practice” sessions for them, with a few FDL recruits “firing” questions at them so they could see what it’s like.

Naw, I’m only joking; it would take too much time to organize, and those busy authors would be resistant.

However, I sense an entrepreneurial opportunity: if you charged $$$$ for folks to receive this “training,” I’m sure they’d flock to you.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I was thinking about – Pulitzer Prize winner Deborah Nelson / The War Behind Me: Vietnam Veterans Confront the Truth about U.S. War Crimes

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
In response to Dearie @ 67

Oh yes. Actually we do have guest-typists for some of the authors to assist in responding quickly (usually older authors). I know that the authors thoughts are the words you see on the page (I have been on the phone with them during the salons).

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Perversely, what I really like are the occasional “gotcha” salons, where someone gets [deservedly] skewered. Rattner being pummeled by Marcy comes to mind.

If you can keep the attack-crazy trolls out, a skewering by Marcy or a similarly up-to-date commenter, particularly when handled politely and gradually, can really deflate some of the “We Important People Know It All. Why Won’t You Listen to Us?” folks.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Hey, why didn’t I think of that – I could use a guest typist myself. These aging hands!

chicagogal December 28th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Adding my thanks to Bev and everyone who puts these salons together!

It took me a long time (months or more than a year, can’t remember which) before I figured out what these were, then more time to remember when they started so I could lurk. Came out of hiding for Paul Krugman, Neil Barofsky and a couple of others, but always appreciated the variety of topics. FDL and the quality Salon sessions helped me understand how and why we ended up in such economic dysfunction.

I don’t own an e-reader or ipad/tablet, but am happy to support my local library. Even got them to buy Neil Barofsky’s book when it came out so I could read it before his Salon!

All the suggestions so far are great, but I’d like to see something about poverty and other socially-relevant subjects.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

That’s great to know! And I, for one, don’t care about typos and dropped words and such…. as long as I can ‘get’ the intent of their response, I’m well satisfied. I hope the authors feel comfortable about that. It’s their response we want; we’ll figure out their intent despite their secretarial deficits.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:15 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 68

This is part of the magic that goes on behind the scenes to make the salons happen smoothly, I enjoy the interaction with our guests.

I will leave the “customer service” to the “professionals”.

mafr December 28th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

“Climate change is the most important problem facing the international community in the 21st century,” Guzman said. “It’s a problem that no country alone can solve, but a solution is imperative.”

“Berkeley, CA-February 7, 2013…A new book, Overheated: The Human Cost of Climate Change, predicts a grim future for billions of people in this century. It is a factual account of a staggering human toll, based on hard data. Author Andrew Guzman, an authority on international law and economics”

I can’t recommend this book, I have not read it. But I think this is the most important problem.

any chance of a book on this subject?

dakine01 December 28th, 2013 at 3:16 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 71

The real bad ones do tend to stand out (Eric Alterman, Bob Woodward, Mark Penn among them)

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I have a thought that I’d like to get others thoughts on.
This might be something that we could do with a “newsmaker”/ book author that could use the brains of the FDL community.

How many of you have watched press conferences and watched the media ask softball questions or not do follow ups?
Have you ever wished that you could “hold their feet to the fire?” or wish that someone else would ask the follow up that YOU know should be asked?”

I would propose a set up that is like a google hang out but without having the FDL members need to be on video. Where the person could be asked the questions via a host reading them to the person and the person being on camera and having to answer them. This way we could see their faces and hear How they answer. Then if we didn’t like the answer we could ask a follow up.
Now the thing that we could do (that the press don’t) is have others ask follow ups when they don’t feel the answers are good enough.

Now the people we would chose for this are the ones who have big egos and are pushing a book.

Or the people from the climate denier world who live on the Right Wing dime. They believe what they say, but rarely get challenged by their own people. So it’s not as if they don’t know what they are getting into.

I would like some right wing economic folks and RW apologists for Wall Street and climate to be guests.
The thing that would be different is we would have them LIVE on Camera with a host (me or someone) reading them questions or taking calls.

It would not be for most guests because we don’t usually like to be combative, but there are a lot of people who the RW pays to write books who think that they can convince us. They go on RW radio and TV and there are no left wing radio or TV that they would go on, but they WOULD since they have such a big ego they think they could still win. Also Mainstream journalists. Like I would love to have Chris Matthews on, he is always pushing a book and thinks he is so cool, but we could point out all the things that he does that lets guests skate.

It would give us a chance to practice debating with these people.

Anyone interested in something like this?

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Has anyone ever made a list of the top ten or 25 fdl book salons ever?

One of my very favorite was John Dean’s Broken Government segment. He stayed up ALL NIGHT answering every comment addressed to him.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:18 pm
In response to chicagogal @ 73

chicagogal, thank you. I will continue with the economic / finance books – and there are some new poverty / inequality books coming out now – we have Dean Baker on Jan 19th, and I have several more queued up.
Thank you again.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:18 pm
In response to Dearie @ 67

Dearie, see my suggestion for another kind of Salon, where the host and the guest are in a video chat and the we are reading the questions to the guest and he responses on video.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:20 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 71

Another reason why I like you so much. I agree!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:20 pm
In response to mafr @ 76

mafr, I tried to slip a lot more environmental books in this past year, and I’ll continue to as I get recommendations for good books. There are a lot of environmental books that are not completely truthful or provide misinformation.
Thanks!

dakine01 December 28th, 2013 at 3:21 pm
In response to spocko @ 78

There were a couple of live video chats back in the early part of the 2008 election cycle. I know Chris Dodd did one exactly as you describe where the “moderator” (forget who it was) pulled questions we had submitted and Dodd answered.

It was a bit of a hoot to hear “dakine01 asks…” and have Dodd answer, “well dakine01…”

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:26 pm
In response to spocko @ 78

That comment is a keeper, spocko.

I’ve volunteered to host salons for books I knew ahead of time might be good, books authors asked me to host (as tomorrow’s will be), and books that Bev asked me to consider doing. A couple of the authors and their work I was leery of, but the salons worked out – a lot because one really does have a responsibility to be something of a moderator, and to help the author not just walk away wondering if he has been set up.

I don’t think fdl needs to get a rep for luring RWNJs into the briar patch, though. The only time I shat on someone else’s book salon was this one.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:27 pm
In response to spocko @ 78

The Book Salon is interested in having discussions with authors and newsmakers in a forum that is fact based and an open debate. I can not in good conscience allow a salon to proceed that will put the guest on defense – for attacks.

There are other places at FDL for live discussions of news events – live blogging events. Your suggestion is interesting, maybe someone will pick this up and move forward with it.

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 3:27 pm
In response to chicagogal @ 73

In conjunction with this [not limited to poverty and social justice], I’m wondering if there’s anyone out there — other than Bill Moyers — who can encourage us and remind us all that change is hard, and takes a long time. That was one thing I’ve found valuable from the various Civil Rights books. Maybe soon things will be coming out on how the change in attitude [and laws] re gay rights was accomplished.

It just seems like there’s so much, and so extensive, news on “wins” by the conservatives, on their financial strength, on their electoral gains, that I come away thinking, “how can we ever succeed against THAT?” So reminders of how to effect change, how to use current social media, how to resist feeling defeated, would be helpful. There are many, many books on “what’s wrong.” We need more “how to change it, and not go crazy doing so.”

Also books that remind us of the changes that were made in voting rights, civil rights, labor, etc. so we can educate younger readers of the gains that were made and that we CAN’T GIVE UP! This generation of 20-something women need to be reminded of what it was like in 1970 to have an unwanted pregnancy. Other examples from all these areas.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:28 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 79

Not yet. Might be a fun exercise.

homeroid December 28th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Thanks BevW for all you do getting these salons to us. I read most of them. Weekends are a busy time for me. The subjects and the authors views are important to me. Buying another book is an expense i find hard to justify sometimes. Our local library, though good, is lacking in funds. If i do buy a book i donate.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I agree. Mark Penn? How did I miss that one?!

Here is another idea for those kind of Salons. I would like to find people like Marcy in advance who could pop up during the salon. I think the FDL community is smart but it would be nice to have someone who knows the author’s tricks to pop up. I’m thinking like contact Atrios or Digby and them them pop up during a chat from someone in “The Village” who dismisses us as “The professional left” or dirty fucking hippies.

The point of this is that The Village people live in a bubble yet they have the kind of ego that makes them think that everyone agrees with them. And nobody in their community ever asks them real questions or calls them out for their BS. Sure it’s not the kind of thing where we would do with most guests, but as Glenngwald has found out, the MSM have big egos and thin skins. They would WANT to do the book salon. I would set up the on camera thing because if it was just words on a screen they could no answer the question so just spin, spin, spin.

You see, I train people to do press conferences and I know the tricks. I also know how to bust those tricks. I would set up for FDL a salon that would give us a chance to pierce their bubble. The smart ones would never do it, but the ones with the big egos would. And we could see the result.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I just tried to find a book salon with Eric Alterman, but came up blank. Did he do one?

CTuttle December 28th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Aloha, Bev and pups…! I just got home and wanted to thank you for all the excellent book salons…! *g*

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:33 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 87

I do get encouragement framed books, and I’ll keep an eye out for more. We have Erica Chenoweth and Maria J. Stephan / Why Civil Resistance Works: The Strategic Logic of Nonviolent Conflict – on Jan 18th.

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hysterical…thanks. Did we do a Salon on the guy who moved up there to write? McGinnis, I think.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:35 pm
In response to homeroid @ 89

homeroid, thank you for reading and enjoying these salons. I encourage everyone to get your libraries to buy these books, let’s spread the progressive word.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hi CT! Thanks for your comments and participation during the salons.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Yes – McGinnis was on and made national news with his comments during the salon.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Oh I agree. I guess I’m not thinking it for most Book Salons, just the ones where there is someone like Chris Matthews. He goes on The Daily Show and we all want Jon to nail him, but Jon doesn’t. And that makes us crazy. I know why Jon doesn’t and I know that the producers of the show know that they will still come (like William Kristol) because they know that won’t get grilled, yet they will get the exposure. Only the ones with big egos will do it.
Maybe it is called something likes FIRE seat at FireDogLake. Were the Left Wing community gets to ask questions of the RW pundits and thought leaders.

I agree that there are so many books that we need to hear good conversation in that we don’t want to scare people away, but some people will still keep coming and personally I’d like to blow a few holes in their rhetoric. But maybe that’s just me :-)

homeroid December 28th, 2013 at 3:38 pm
In response to spocko @ 78

I would toss in some funds for a “webinar” kind of thing. But then i may not be there. A playback for all could be good. I do believe the RWNJ’s would be too scared of all that.

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I know that through Bev’s hard work the FDL Book Salon has a reputation as fair and accurate, an “attack-free zone,” and I don’t want to suggest anything that would damage that and/or scare authors away. But the pompous egos deserve a pin-prick, and the subtler the better. That’s one reason I hate it when the crazy Attack Troll(s) show up and attempt to pound the author. And I appreciate the host’s dealing with them — Teddy, I’m thinking of you.

dakine01 December 28th, 2013 at 3:38 pm
RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Great…..I guess I must have missed it. Thanks.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Joe McGinnis – The Rogue @ fdl book salon

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, dakine01. I’ll forward it to Max Blumenthal…..

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 3:41 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 105

Thanks….There is a new book, Lerner’s about Israel….Do you know anything about it?

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:41 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 105

ET – thank you for Hosting that salon!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:43 pm

is this it?
Embracing Israel/Palestine: A Strategy to Heal and Transform the Middle East by Michael Lerner (Nov 22, 2011)

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:43 pm
In response to spocko @ 100

It isn’t just you. I’m warming to your proposal. Very hard to pull off, though, but would certainly be worth it.

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Yes, I had seen a favorable review….

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I was going to ask “Which Lerner? Which book?”

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

As you know, I often donate my book(s) to the local [impoverished] library, with the proviso that the book MUST be added to the collection, not sold at a “raise funds for the library” event. [The local librarian and I go over anything I'm donating, and she has to assure me of this before I'll release it.]

It is remarkably satisfying to later search the catalogue and find that the ONLY copy of one of our great books is in my local branch. But hopefully that will both get people reading it [they can request that it be sent to their local library, even on other islands] and demanding more copies. And it will acquaint those who make the purchasing decisions with the book and get them to buy more.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

A lot of fun.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:46 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 87

Exactly! So many are good at, “This is the problem.” and not “This is the solution” or “This is how we did this and here is how we can do this to change this other thing.”

Right now I’m having a big discussion about Trade and what that means to the US. How the workers in the US have been screwed by the US trade policies. My friend Dave Johnson has a lot of great insights and suggestions on the topic, another friend is like the typical economist who shoots down the suggestions. I want to see that back and forth so I can answer and respond to the issue when I see the RW experts pushing their views. Otherwise I feel I don’t know enough to comment, let alone argue with them.

Some of you saw my funny little Trans Pacific Partnership video. I spent about 25 hours making that 101 second video, Most was research. That helped me to make a point.

I want to do more like that because I know that a combo of humor and research can help, but what I don’t have are enough examples of how we successfully changed attitudes and fixed programs to make recommendations on Trade.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:46 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 112

ET – have you read this?

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I started reading it and almost threw up. More “time is running out!” bullshit.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:49 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 113

Thank you for insisting on getting the books added to the collection.

Locally here – the county library was caught throwing away tens of thousands of good books, dumpsters full. Not even offering them to other libraries in locally or state wide.

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:49 pm
In response to homeroid @ 101

Oh yes especially a play back. I recently did a webinar with Joinme that would have been great if the technology worked. I also used a product called ooVoo that did three video screens (up to 10) that I recorded. It was like of like Blogging heads only with three people.

The RWNJs who are smart WILL be afraid (or their PR people will tell them not to.) but remember they are often filled with ego and not as much brains. Some are better trained than others. Also being the clever Vulcan I am I would make sure that we have fact based FDL people prepared to question them.

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 3:49 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 117

O dear….I had only seen a review….

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 3:51 pm
In response to Mauimom @ 102

Yeah I’m not for crazy attack trolls I’m much more a Marcy asking penetrating questions kind of guy.

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 3:51 pm

BevW, any Salon that hits 120 comments in under 2 hours is definitely a winner. Congrats!

CTuttle December 28th, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Sounds like a One State solution, which in all practicality has to happen since Israel has reduced the OPT to nothing but bantustans…! 8-(

Peterr December 28th, 2013 at 3:53 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 79

It made my day as a preacher to have John Dean give me an “Amen!” for a comment about an authoritarian judiciary.

In his return engagement in December 2009 to talk about an updated “Blind Ambition,” I noted this from his book:

Christmas Eve, 1974

Holabird was astir on Christmas Eve. Our top hit man was baking cookies and bread; he had learned the skill in another prison. A multimillionaire heroin dealer from South America was in charge of preparing a turkey dinner for about two thirds of the principals. A spirited and talented Italian crew of Mafia men was busy preparing a lasagna feast for the others, who planned to eat a separate Italian Christmas dinner in the ping-pong room, which they had decorated by draping sheets over the table and the holes in the walls. I helped decorate the tree in the main dining area, picking up an extra chore when one of the Latin heroin traffickers couldn’t read the instructions on how to put up the cardboard angels.

I followed this up by asking how he was spending this Christmas (that is, in 2009), and he replied “Without the Mafia, thank you. :)”

Bev — we *have* to get John back, either as a guest or (even better) a host. Does Bob Woodward have a book coming out soon?

*g*

Dearie December 28th, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Someone must be writing about the difficulties in the middle class. I’d like to read and discuss that topic.

grayslady December 28th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I particularly enjoyed the session with the three authors of “Political Bubbles”. They were very “with it”, very engaged, and I learned a lot about an academic branch I didn’t know previously. I think the important thing with any of the authors is that they be prepared for a lot of questions not directly related to the particular book under discussion. If I sense a great mind and an engaged personality, I’m much more likely to read that person’s book–almost regardless of subject matter.

There have been a couple of book salons recently that really fell flat. On reflection, that’s probably a good thing. There was the author of the book on alternative media who said he thought the NY Times was a really progressive media outlet. After that, he and the moderator were basically talking to themselves! The day after, Andrew Bacevich ignored half the questions people asked, rather than being polite enough to give a “Sorry, I don’t know enough to comment” answer. It was a useful awakening about an author with whom many of us were already familiar. So not all “failures” are failures–except for the person trying to sell her/his book, perhaps.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 3:55 pm

*g*

What a great family we are a part of Peterr, spocko, CT, mauimom, homeroid, Dearie……

As this year closes – Ding!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Peterr, I’ll check on that – John has always responded quickly.

CTuttle December 28th, 2013 at 3:55 pm

*heh* You’re evil Peterr…! Dean hosting Woodward…? ;-)

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 3:58 pm
In response to grayslady @ 126

grayslady, thanks for that perspective, I set the salons up, but never know how they will turnout, but most are actually pretty good. Thanks for your participation and recommendation (I still have them).

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!!

I look forward to seeing you in the comments.

I am always here at – FiredoglakeBookSalon@gmail.com – send me your comments and recommendations.

Happy New Year!

Peterr December 28th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Moi?

*blushing*

Tammany Tiger December 28th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I finally got hold of Chuck Thompson’s Better Off Without ‘Em, a not-so-modest proposal that the South be allowed to secede. Thompson has written a couple of travel books that were tart-tongued but incisive, and I consider him a first-rate writer.

While I’m here, I’d like to say, thank you Bev for the great lineup of authors you’ve hosted here!

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Bev, Thanks for all your work. The Salons are fascinating. This has been another great exchange….Here’s to your continuing good work. With gratitude and more anticipation. Thanks.

Peterr December 28th, 2013 at 4:01 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 127

*Ding!* to you too!

(Apologies in advance, but I’m not going to be able to join you tomorrow, but I promise I’ll look in on the chat later on.)

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 4:02 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 110

You know what, I think that you and I should think about the design of it. It doesn’t have to be a Book Salon, but something of a hybrid.

The criteria would be special for the book. The set up for the FDL audience would be different.

I would want a few things 1) The author would come out of the Heritage Foundation/Koch Brother funding book world.
They would be on a book tour where they are talking to everyone, so it’s not as if were are begging them to come one. I would line up some people in our community to have questions and follow ups ready to their possible answers. Then I would also line up some people from the reality based community to “show up” or call in. It wouldn’t be an ambush but we would tell them that they will be challenged.

The smart ones will say no. But they have big egos and think they can “win” the interviews.
the Host would have to not be protecting the guest. Too often I’ve been to Commonwealth club meetings and they 1) Don’t ask the tough questions and 2) Don’t challenge their BS answers. Because every good book author had a answer to the hard questions. (I know because as a media trainer I INSIST that the have an answer to the hard questions) but what they don’t have is answer to the follow up question that points out that their first answer is weak.

Not only would this make for an interesting event, it might even make news.

You see we often want the media to ask these questions, but in the would of Access journalist them don’t. Because they want to talk to them again. The go to the cocktail parters and know each other. But they don’t know us. They don’t know that we are smart and can see bullshit when we read it. But as a PR person you never want to put your client into a position where they look bad. However some of them have such big egos that they think they can buffallo the stupid liberals. Especially since they spend so much time talking to themselves.

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 4:02 pm

And your thread today was great; I got in very late, so had just been reading it.

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I’ll be busy too – Ms ET and I will be celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary, hosting our annual Holiday Party, and hosting an fdl book salon. Hope your last sermon of the year touches many hearts, Peterr.

karenjj2 December 28th, 2013 at 4:04 pm
In response to grayslady @ 126

on the other hand, I was extremely interested to learn about the alternative media author’s internews.org comments 64 and 74. his work is extraordinary and i would never have learned about it without the salon.

kspopulist December 28th, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thanks BevW!
I get so much out of these
it’s almost embarrassing.
Great suggestions all around I see, too!

In the past I’ve seen posts come up, giving a longer view of what’s coming in the Salon. But not so much recently(?).
Anything to aid in knowing what’s coming,can make finding and reading a book ahead of time, more likely. FDL’rs do a great job getting into topics, author’s-work et cetera. Yet I often see people (myself included) at a loss for not having read or started, had some kind of handle on that day’s subject. Of course, this may be difficult in some or many instnces, but still.
Another idea might be having some reprise, in a year, or like with Scahill’s and a pbk pub, etc. for the chance at getting authors together with actual readers of their work, rather than just potential/putative readers.
yah?

spocko’s idea is great of course and could – with enough frames, a title, a different time, etc. – could be disassociated from the Salon, I think

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 4:07 pm
In response to spocko @ 136

just sent an fdl friendship request, spocko. I’ll find a way to get in touch.

Why does my spell check change fdl to ddl automatically? WTF is “ddl” anyway?

Mauimom December 28th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

As you may know, we have only ONE bookstore on all of Maui — and it’s over an hour away from me. But that also means that there aren’t many bookstore locations where both readers and librarians can see what’s “new” and interesting laid out on a display table.

So I feel like I have to do my part via the library to educate those who might have an interest — to make them aware of what great books are out there.

CTuttle December 28th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Mahalo and Ha’ole Makahiki Hou, Bev and pups…! It was another great year of Salons, and, I’m eagerly looking forward to another…! *g*

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 4:09 pm
In response to Tammany Tiger @ 133

TammanyTiger – thank you, I enjoy seeing your comments. I’ll look for that book.

Peterr December 28th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thanks!

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 4:10 pm
In response to karenjj2 @ 139

karenjj2 Thanks for your thoughtful comments and participation.

Peterr December 28th, 2013 at 4:10 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 138

Extra *DING* then!

Congrats on the anniversary — do you have a fine feast lined up to celebrate?

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 4:11 pm
In response to kspopulist @ 140

Thanks. I agree, different title, different time and not for ever person/author just the ones who meet the criteria. The people at Heritage have 12 full time PR people pushing books some of them will be happy to put their author in front of a left wing community so they can prove that their author talks to both sides. And frankly, I’ve wanted to put authors in front of the RW media because they SHOULD be able to hold their own in front of other communities. I have prepped authors and execs to go on Fox News and have interviews with Breitbart reporters so if I can do it, they should be able to do it.

CTuttle December 28th, 2013 at 4:11 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 138

Congratulations to you and the Missus, ET…! *g*

RevBev December 28th, 2013 at 4:12 pm
In response to spocko @ 148

But it is easier when sanity and truth are on your side….Id think.

BevW December 28th, 2013 at 4:13 pm
In response to kspopulist @ 140

kspopulist, thanks! The best way to keep up with what is scheduled – FDLBookSalon.com I post the books as soon as I schedule them. I do look at older books, if there is an audience for them. I do try for a second round on some books that did not respond to our invitation, some do take us up on the new offer.
Thanks!

Elliott December 28th, 2013 at 4:14 pm

indeed ! Congratulations to ET and Ms ET

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

We do. Partly potluck, partly our own dishes:

Copper River smoked salmon from my smokehouse
Copper River salmon, slow cooked, Jerry Traunfeld-style
Beet-chevre-mint carpaccio
Rosemary-infused chicken breast nubs (Ms ET’s recipe)

At least 40 guests. Live music from UAA classical guitar students.

Elliott December 28th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Thank you BevW for being the bestest. It’s a big job, but you pull it off as if it were effortless. You’re an FDL treasure

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 4:17 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 141

I’m at spockos email at gmail dot com

*You know that whole friendship thing is nice, but I never figured out how to send private messages to my “friends” via it. Is that a feature I just don’t know about?

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 4:21 pm
In response to spocko @ 155

just checked. you appear to be right. not sure why the friendship thingie has no use….

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 4:22 pm
In response to EdwardTeller @ 156

They probably have that feature but disabled it. Send me email. I’m old fashion that way.

kspopulist December 28th, 2013 at 4:24 pm
In response to spocko @ 148

the mods here would have knowledge how such an arrangement, and on a regular basis, might impact flow of traffic and the kinds of traffic drawn to such events. I sure don’t.
This too would be different than the pre-arranged video link and author’s participation of course, and how that’s organized. I know the two could be linked up, just that ‘managing’ ‘traffic’ and ‘managing’ a guest are very different animals – especially in a potentially charged environment. As you suggest.oO

EdwardTeller December 28th, 2013 at 4:24 pm
In response to spocko @ 157

niklake at mtaonline dot net

see ya soon….

CTuttle December 28th, 2013 at 4:26 pm
In response to Elliott @ 154

You’re an FDL treasure

Couldn’t agree more, Ellie…! *g*

spocko December 28th, 2013 at 4:32 pm
In response to kspopulist @ 158

Good point. I’ve been trying out the various tools for video conferencing/ webinars and online meetings. If you have any good or bad experiences with them please let me know.

One thing I do know, the technology is there, but the distribution of technology know how varies greatly.

DaveMoore December 28th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I really appreciate the book salons and know how hard they are to arrange. Before I retired from the Library of Congress, I ran the LCPA Veterans Forum. At my own expense (something we employees were allowed to do), I brought in fifty speakers. Like yours, they were very diverse. Some have since passed on. What I appreciate is that there is a record of people who ask relevant questions of the authors. For you to host 750 to my 50 puts my work to shame.

TarheelDem December 28th, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thank you for the great lineup of book salons this year, BevW. Looking forward to the Dulles Brothers reschedule.

BrandonJ December 28th, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thank you Bev for your all of your work. These book salons are extremely interesting and it’s an informative and new medium that helps me understand much more on different issues. A few of the authors have been really awesome to speak with and a lot of questions asked are things I haven’t thought of.

It’s awesome, though, when discussion can extend to other FDLers who answer each other since it feels more of a natural setting. Overall, it’s a great activity.

Cynthia Kouril December 29th, 2013 at 6:30 am

Bev, I know I’m late to the party, but I have to compliment you how gracefully and professionally you handle Book Salon. You make so easy for both author and host. It is always a pleasure to work with you.