Welcome Tom Tomorrow, and Host Eli.

[As a courtesy to our guests, please keep comments to the book.  Please take other conversations to a previous thread.  - bev]

Too Much Crazy

Eli, Host:

Tom Tomorrow is a master of the nutshell who has found an inexhaustible supply of nuts.  Every week, he crystallizes deadly accurate criticism of Republican insanity and Democratic insincerity into just a handful or two of pithy cartoon panels, and yet never seems to leave anything out.  As anyone who has ever written or blogged can attest, this is a very rare and valuable skill, and I think I can safely say that we all hate him for it.

Too Much Crazy, the first FDL Book Salon entry in six weeks without a colon in its title, covers the time frame from the last several months of the 2008 presidential campaign up through the general vicinity of the present day, thus encompassing the complete rise and fall of Obama and the Democratic Party.  Or the fall and rise of the Republican Party, depending on your point of view.

It is both poignant and frustrating to revisit late 2008 and early 2009, when it looked like the perfect storm of Bush’s incompetence and the right’s incoherent rage would discredit the GOP for decades, and wonder how it all went so wrong so fast.  Tom offers up the theory that George W. Bush and his inner circle were actually the ringleaders of a secret left-wing conspiracy to make Republicans look bad, but that they’ve been completely outmaneuvered and outclassed by a  right-wing conspiracy led by Barack Obama (real name: Barrington Chadsworth IV) and his inner circle, which makes about as much sense as any other explanation.

Too Much Crazy covers a number of themes, from the right’s logical contradictions and irrational conspiracy theories, to the sensible liberals’ ineffectual defense and outright betrayal of progressive principles, to the media’s role in promoting conservatives and marginalizing progressives, to the moral degradation America has suffered from its acceptance of torture, murder and neverending war.

And yet, despite the deadly seriousness of the subject matter, the tone remains light, almost whimsical.  There are aliens, superheroes, sensible woodchucks, parallel universes (some sane, some even crazier than ours), the not-so-invisible hand of the free market, bright-eyed boy detectives who sniff out liberal conspiracies, and the ghostly Idea Of Obama.  It’s all funny as hell, but in the back of your head you can hear someone screaming.

290 Responses to “FDL Book Salon Welcomes Tom Tomorrow, Too Much Crazy”

BevW January 15th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Tom, Welcome to the Lake.

Eli, Thank you very much for Hosting today’s Book Salon.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Hello, tap tap tap, is this thing on?

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

My pleasure, Bev.

Welcome, Tom! The book is fantastic.

dakine01 January 15th, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Good afternoon Tom and welcome to FDL this afternoon. Good afternoon Eli!

Tom, I have read your strip in alt weeklies all over the country over the years.

Do you ever despair on all the crazy you document or do you just consider that it means you’ll never run out of material?

bluewombat January 15th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I’m a great admirer of your work, Tom. It’s like “Peanuts” for irascible progressives or people with a sense of humor or (like me, I like to think) both.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Can the answer be “both”?

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Welcome. A privilege to speak with you. Gotta say that one of the highlights of each week is your cartoon. Always insightful.

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

And penguins. Don’t forget the penguins, Eli.

dakine01 January 15th, 2011 at 2:03 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 6

Yes, I believe it can

dakine01 January 15th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Tom, when you were documenting the end of the BushII admin, did you ever think that Obama would continue so many BushCo policies or was that too much of an alternative universe thought?

January 15th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hi there Tom! Ordered your book this morning, because…

…I saw on the Twitter machine that your book is in “orphan status” with your publisher. Can you elaborate on that?

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I have read that you were hired by US News & World Report way back in 1998, only to be fired less than six months later. What was that all about, if I may ask?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

These things are cyclical and I’m pretty cynical. Obama’s a good campaigner but was always pretty clearly a mainstream centrist technocrat. I have been less disappointed than others who — per my toon — paid more attention to the “idea of Obama.”

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

The latter probably makes it possible to deal with the former.

Scarecrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Okay, admit it. We’ve never seen you and Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann or Gingrinch in the same room at the same time. You invented these people, right? right?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:08 pm
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 11

Soft Skull is an imprint of Counterpoint, which is, for those of you not versed in publishing arcana, kind of a smaller publishing house within a larger house. I’ve been wandering the publishing landscape the last few years — the publisher of my last compilation did the worst possible job imaginable, and sold so few books that I literally would have been better off if that book (FUTURE’S SO BRIGHT…) had never been published. Sales track totally screwed, which makes new publishers leery. Thought I’d found a home — but Soft Skull was recently discontinued, my editor laid off. Very possible that my book will get lost in the shuffle, and given the record of the last book, if that happens I will probably not be publishing any more.

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:09 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 13

I think you were just miffed because the Idea Of Obama didn’t have any private conversations with you in your head.

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Tom, who helped you sharpen your political satire? Are there folks you read or artists who drew that made you say “Hey, that looks like the job for me!”

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:10 pm
In response to Shoto @ 12

James Fallows had written a book about media reform and was momentarily given the editorship as a result. For some ridiculous reason he brought me on board. The publisher, Mort Zuckerman, was not entirely happy with the commentary I produced. And so I was sent upon my merry way.

Scarecrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Tom, does the world seem to be getting crazier? And what’s the cartoonist’s explanation . . . because it’s probably all your fault.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Charles Schultz, Garry Trudeau, Mad Magazine. And I just always knew I wanted to be a cartoonist — was apparently tapped by one of the lesser muses, not much you can do.

Jeff Kaye January 15th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Just jumping in here to say much thanks to Tom, for providing an all-too-rare place of sanity, arriving in cartoon format. Your work captures the inanity of the public discourse better than almost anyone I know.

Besides FDL – (smile) – what other sources do you look to, for material, for news, for analysis?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:13 pm
In response to Jeff Kaye @ 22

The blogs on my link list on my own site are a pretty good representation of what I read regularly. Digby at Hullaballoo is definitely one of my inspirations.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:13 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 19

Too close to the bone for Mr. Zuckerman, eh? That tells me you were doing something right. And good for James Fallows for hiring you. I admire his writing, too.

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 2:13 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 16

That’s a hint, people.

(I’m seeing something like this and hearing a voice say: “Buy the book, or the artist gets it.”)

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:14 pm
In response to Shoto @ 24

He invited me to White House Correspondent’s Dinner as consolation prize for firing. Only time I ever went. Had flu and fever, wandered through surreal evening, ended up at Vanity Fair party afterwards. Met G. Gordon Liddy, Sharon Stone. Washington is a strange place, and I always seem to come down sick (literally) every time I go there.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

more than a hint, think of it as a desperate plea. and I think the penguin is the one who gets it.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:15 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 21

was apparently tapped by one of the lesser muses, not much you can do.

That remark is way too modest. Your medium can be (and in your case, usually is) very powerful. I don’t hesitate to refer people to your work.

Scarecrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Is there a story about how/when you met the penguin?

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:17 pm
In response to Shoto @ 28

Very true. You make points more effectively in six panels than I do in 500+ words. Although that may not be saying much.

(Who *is* the Muse for cartoons, anyway?)

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:18 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 26

That would be the appropriate response, alright. Did Liddy do the fire-on-his-hand trick for you? heh…

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:18 pm
In response to Eli @ 30

There were, I think, nine muses of specific arts — I don’t recall one of them being “cartooning.” That’s why I say, a lesser-known muse.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:18 pm
In response to Shoto @ 31

Ironically Liddy and I had the same editor at St. Martin’s Press for many years.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

And that’s a fun fact I bet you did not anticipate.

bluewombat January 15th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

How did you choose the nom de cartoon Tom Tomorrow?

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:21 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 33

Small world. In this case, way too small.

CTuttle January 15th, 2011 at 2:21 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 13

Aloha, Tom and Eli…!

I was looking forward to this Book Salon…!

Sadly, after voting for Nader twice before I was sucked into the ‘Idea of Obama’… I even caucused for his sorry arse…!

Phoenix Woman January 15th, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Great to have you here, Tom!

Speaking of crazy: Remember the Republican efforts to demagogue the Wellstone memorial event at Williams Arena, and how these efforts have been repurposed to attack the Coretta King funeral?

Well, guess what — they’ve gotten around to reviving their old “mistaking” of captioned TVs for “applause signs”.

Sara Janacek must be proud.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:22 pm
In response to bluewombat @ 35

Goes back to very start of my career before I imagined it as a “career.” Doing work for radical zine in San Francisco called Processed World, focused on underside of information economy — temps, data processors, office workers, etc. Contributors used psuedonyms for fear of being blacklisted. Mine is actually a misremembered version of “Tom Terriffic,” old cartoon character from Captain Kangaroo.

Beerfart Liberal January 15th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Read your stuff in Orlando Sentinel (right above LuLu Eightball).

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Yes I just saw that on Twitter. The “crazy” really is reaching new heights these days, not to mention the sheer stupidity. Chances are that will now become yet another unkillable zombie lie.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Orlando Weekly. And by all means shoot them an email thanking them for running the work. I’ve lost a lot of papers since George Bush flushed the economy down the crapper.

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I expected him to be weak and disappointing, but I didn’t expect him to actually join the other team.

dakine01 January 15th, 2011 at 2:25 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 39
Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Tom, in the acknowledgments, you thank all the editors who run your cartoons.

Do you ever get feedback from them, other than “We’re renewing/canceling our contract”? Are there particular strips that perhaps hit too close to home for any of them?

Beerfart Liberal January 15th, 2011 at 2:25 pm

brain fart. orlando weekly. oh god. the sentinel………………

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:25 pm
In response to Eli @ 43

Well … Clinton has been kind of lionized in retrospect but he did the same thing — we just finally got rid of one his most noxious legacies, DADT.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:25 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 41

The “crazy” really is reaching new heights these days,

If you had to guess where all this craziness is going, what would you say?

Beerfart Liberal January 15th, 2011 at 2:26 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 42

will do.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

A few are friends, but at this point there’s been a lot of turnover and there are a lot of them I don’t know anymore. Unfortunately I can run in a paper for years, find out from readers that it’s been dropped, email the editor and get back “Oh, sorry, didn’t anyone tell you?”

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:27 pm
In response to Shoto @ 48

Probably nowhere good. If Tucson isn’t a teachable moment, if the would-be Tides shooter wasn’t a teachable moment — do we have to wait for some horrific event by a guy wearing a Tea Party tea shirt before people realize we really need to tone it down a notch or two?

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I love you, Tom Tomorrow.

And your little woodchuck, too. Also: penguin.

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:29 pm
In response to Shoto @ 48

And is it possible that there ever will be “too much crazy”? I.e., that one day the American people will realize that despite what the media may say, the right is completely, utterly, irredeemably insane?

It seems impossible, but the crazy just keeps getting crazier, and it seems like the country is simply adapting to it rather than rejecting it.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 2:29 pm
In response to Shoto @ 36

“So much Crazy, so little Woyld…”?

Welcome and thanks so much for being here, Tom! Like CT @37, I’ve been looking forward to this book salon.

I’m sure I first saw your work because someone here at FDL linked to it at Salon.com. Now I eagerly await each new instalment. Your Muse, minor or otherwise, is clearly Teh Awesome.

FunnyDiva

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Let’s leave my little woodchuck out of this!

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

ba doom boom.

CTuttle January 15th, 2011 at 2:31 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 47

The thought of Hillary and Clinton II forced me to caucus…! Should’ve known better…

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

seriously tho — Chuckles the Sensible Woodchuck has only been in a few cartoons, but he makes centrist Democrats very, very angry.

Sharkbabe January 15th, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Tom, I’ve been loving your work since before the internets when I’d visit SF.

Q – how did you develop your utterly original quasi-realistic visual style?

Thanks for being such an incredible artist and commentator.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:32 pm
In response to Eli @ 53

it seems like the country is simply adapting to it rather than rejecting it.

I place the blame for that squarely at the feet of the MSM, television in particular. If real news was being reported on a regular basis, I don’t think the electorate would be quite so compliant.

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Speaking of unspeakable zombies, can we look forward to the penguin’s response to young Ron Reagan’s revelation about his father’s illness, three years into his first term?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:34 pm
In response to Sharkbabe @ 59

style started out using a LOT of collage, segued into current form over the years. And of course computers changed everything — no secret that I often re-use the same characters, cut and paste. People used to debate whether it was “real” cartooning but in the post-Get Your War On mashup age, the question doesn’t really come up so much anymore.

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 2:34 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 58

I thought you showed great restraint not naming the woodchuck Wiggles.

sadlyyes January 15th, 2011 at 2:34 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 51

that would still not be enuf evidence,even if Sarah pulled the trigger herself

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:35 pm
In response to Shoto @ 60

In 2008 I thought that the crazy had progressed to such a point that the media could no longer completely ignore or excuse it without fatally undermining their own credibility. But I guess they’ve adapted too.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I haven’t heard this yet, but it sounds like confirmation of what I have long suspected. I mean, the guy who had a reputation as doddering and absent minded just happened to develop Alzheimer’s the second he left office? More likely he had it during…

CTuttle January 15th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I blame it on the Jelly Beans…!

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:36 pm
In response to Eli @ 65

Don’t want to mess up those cushy gigs, especially in this economy. Don’t rock the (corporate) boat…

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Tom, can you speak a little about the anonymity/pseudonymity debate regarding toilers on the interwebs? Not that it touches you, of course, Mr and Mrs Tomorrow having had the good sense they did to bless you with alliteration.

Phoenix Woman January 15th, 2011 at 2:37 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 41

I’m trying to stop it in its tracks by reminding the Cons that when they pushed that lie against the Wellstone event in 2002, they pissed off Al Franken so much it made him decide to run against Norm Coleman in 2008.

Do not piss off Al Franken.

Beerfart Liberal January 15th, 2011 at 2:37 pm

most flak you’ve ever caught for a This Modern World strip? Or don’t you catch flak?

RevBev January 15th, 2011 at 2:38 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 66

But we always had Nancy….

Phoenix Woman January 15th, 2011 at 2:38 pm
In response to Eli @ 65

It’s the Overton Windows effect: Keep pushing something and it eventually becomes “respectable”.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I’ll confess to mixed feelings. Stupid to talk about legislating identity online I think/hope … but as someone who’s been working in public a long time anonymous attacks grow tiring. I have a pen name but my identity is no secret.

Overall I think the better comment threads have some degree of moderation, otherwise the lunatics just take over. But I’m not going to name any specific sites … :-)

eCAHNomics January 15th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

….and her astrologer.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Nancy and Teh Astrologers?

Sounds like a garage band. Pity it was the WH garage…

Oh, whatcha drinkin, eCAHN?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

varies through the years. Everything I say pisses somebody off, that’s the way of the world. Post 9/11 was an ugly time, as anyone who was blogging at the time surely remembers. I got really ugly stuff — not “death threats” (h/t to Atrios’ latest obsession) but “I hope they line you up against the wall and shoot you,’ “I hope your newborn kid gets AIDS and dies” — stuff like that on a daily, hourly basis.

Lately it’s been more from the other side (and less violent, but still angry). Obama supporters did not appreciate the suggestion that he should be pushing harder, though that’s become more conventional wisdom lately.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Never heard of the Overton Window before. Very interesting. That seems to be the way they run things over at Fox Glox.

Phoenix Woman January 15th, 2011 at 2:42 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 51

That would require the GOP/Media Complex admitting that a) there is a problem, b) it emanates from the right wing, and c) corporate media enables it because they have a grand bargain with the GOP dating back to at least the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, much like the GOP forged the corporate-bigot alliance known as the Southern Strategy to convince bigots that by lowering taxes (esp. on the rich) they can cut social spending and hurt black people.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Obama supporters also don’t like criticism regarding human rights, Gitmo, etc. Many ppl seem to believe we must bite our tongues entirely or PRESIDENT SARAH PALIN GUARANTEED ZOMG!!!

January 15th, 2011 at 2:43 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 78

Yeah. I want to know the location of Middle Man’s secret hideout!

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:44 pm
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 82

Ha ha. I actually have a very good name for his secret hideout, but I must hold it in reserve for his next appearance. You’ll appreciate it when you see it though.

eCAHNomics January 15th, 2011 at 2:45 pm
In response to Funnydiva2002 @ 77

Just thinking about that.

I’m a cartoon moron. It’s something missing from my brain. So I’m just lurking to see what I can pick up. Maybe a part to fit into the space where the cartoon part is missing.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Must bite tongue … so tempting to spill beans … no!

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 2:46 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 81

head/desk.

I know many Sarah Palin fans. It hurts.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 2:46 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 81

And I’ve started thinking that if that’s what it takes to get otherwise intelligent, compassionate people to start condemning “Gitmo, etc” again, then so be it. Maybe the members of the Veal Pen will put their teeth back in or something.

January 15th, 2011 at 2:48 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 83

“The Fortress of ‘Meh.’ “

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 2:48 pm
In response to Funnydiva2002 @ 77

I guess since astrologers have told us the stars and sun have moved enough to add a new sign, these means YES! Reagan was suffering from Alzheimer’s while he was still in office, but we could only know this retroactively. Kind of like predictive astrology in reverse!

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:50 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 83

The Veal Pen?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Quiet. Too quiet.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Have you tried reading back a few weeks/months of Tom’s strip over at Salon.com?
This Modern World

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

We can talk about the death of altweeklies, the online future, my adventures with rock stars … you name it.

CTuttle January 15th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Aww, Tis a shame…

TT puts Toles and Fiore to shame with his biting satire…

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’m only just now appreciating a cartoonist’s economy of words.

I tend to go on and on. How do you keep it to the point? How do you prevent spillage?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Nah it’s just different stuff. Toles is in a league of his own. Fiore’s pioneering new ground with his animations.

January 15th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Do you have an anecdote with Garry Trudeau AND a rock star? :)

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 2:52 pm
In response to dosido @ 89

Oh, dosido…now ya got me all dizzy. And my head aches.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Do you ever catch flak directly from either media or other public figures? If so, what’s it about?

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 2:52 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 93

oooh, rock stars! please continue…

dakine01 January 15th, 2011 at 2:52 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 91

Do you ever hear any feedback about the “almost invisible hand” of the market place? Since apparently the same people who believe in the “almost invisible plan” are also the same ones who’ve destroyed the economy and seem to think wars are winnable

person1597 January 15th, 2011 at 2:53 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 91

T2 — [ahem...Loony alert]

OK, a provocation…. You may have been and (may be now) a key inspiration in the ongoing trainwreck of modern society. Whaaaa?!!!

That’s right. Remember your insidious little depiction of key DINO’s buddying up to Bush/Cheney back in 2005? It inspired this call to arms

Folks may be asking why the democrats canÂ’t seem to do anything but cuddle up to the Bushista Administration. If you are a democrat you must be feeling a combination of sheepishness and angst as power slips away without so much as a filibuster. To expect any legitimate soul-searching or even an iota of recalcitrance is to overlook the very nature of the problem: The democratic party has been the party of the status-quo, plain and simple.

FDL has always been about fighting back.
Like it or not…You are a leader in this fight.

For awhile, the dems got back into the fight. Now they’ve been co-opted by the PTB’s and the fake status-quo. Can’t say how much longer the pantomime recovery will last, but it is a BIG CHARADE that is best dismembered through your particular brand of humor. Thanks in advance for helping release the animal spirits from the prison of consensus reality.

It’s no laughing matter! But the work ahead is best dosed with mirth.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:53 pm
In response to dosido @ 95

You gotta understand I spend a day or two writing each cartoon. I trim back as much as I can without losing the tone or the point. Still very wordy!

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

So Tom, in your wildest dreams (or nightmares), did you ever think Obama and the the Democrats would manage to completely revive the Republicans in just *one* election cycle?

Sharkbabe January 15th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Btw I just now bought Too Much Crazy, it’s a pleasure to support you. (Though it does seem ridiculously modest in comparison to the years of enjoyment you’ve given me.)

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

The INvisible Hand takes many forms … but the fundamental joke in every cartoon is that HE’S NOT INVISIBLE AT ALL. He’s completely apparent, you just have to look at what he’s doing.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

TT, does your family support your political POV? I’m pretty much the black sheep of the wingnut family. I fantasize about growing up in a hippie commune.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:56 pm
In response to Shoto @ 99

Few ppl will ever admit to being annoyed by a cartoon. Too often if I hear from someone it’s just that they want a signed copy. Did one criticizing John Kerry as a weenie, his office wanted copy to hang on wall. I signed it, “Please prove me wrong!” sadly he did not.

Funny side note: someone who shall remain nameless, but was fairly well placed within the campaign, was a fan, we were exchanging email. When the Swiftboat thing broke, I encouraged them to push back on it IMMEDIATELY. Was ignored, and the rest is history.

Nobody every listens to the cartoonist.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:57 pm
In response to dosido @ 107

Death and divorce have taken a toll on my extended family. My immediate family is entirely in my camp.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 2:58 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 106

“There’s none so blind as them as will not see”

*sigh*

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 2:58 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 108

I signed it, “Please prove me wrong!”

Nice touch..

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 2:59 pm
In response to dosido @ 100

I did the art for the last Pearl Jam release, knew Eddie Vedder a bit before but have spent quite a lot of time with him and the band since. It was definitely one of the stranger tangents of my career, but has been great fun.

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 2:59 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 108

One of the subliminal impressions that I got from reading Too Much Crazy, with all the various devices I listed in the last paragraph, was of hearing you saying, “I don’t know how many different ways I can say this – why isn’t anybody listening???”

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:00 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 81

Tell me more, we’re entirely unfamiliar with that over here.
*g*

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:00 pm
In response to Eli @ 113

I don’t expect to save the world. If I had to articulate it I see my job as bearing witness, more than anything.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Probably a(nother) dumb question, but what sort of stuff do you read? (No, I’m not asking the Couric-Palin question. ;-) ) Fiction, non-fiction, periodical, etc…

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:01 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 109

Oh! I’m so sorry.

Glad you are in a friendly camp…I live in a minefield of bipartisanship. tricky business. lots of headbobbing.

Will the penguin take on references to tunisia and possible parallels here?

wendydavis January 15th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

We are glad to have you as witness, Tom. Fair Witness, even. ;~)

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:02 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 108

Nobody listened to Cassandra, either.
(And as for the Canary in the Coal Mine? The MSM seems to be the pet-shop owner in Monty Python’s “Dead Parrot Sketch”. And an awful lot of Amerikanz actually believe the bird is Pinin’ fer the Fjords…)

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:03 pm
In response to Shoto @ 116

I just finished a really strange but really brilliant book called Sewer Gas and Electric by Matt Ruff. Features a holographic Ayn Rand arguing with all the other characters, among many things. Overall tend to prefer well-written escapism — Martin Cruz Smith, for example. My brain needs a rest at the end of the day, reading political tracts in bed is too much like work.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:04 pm
In response to dosido @ 117

Have to let that one play out a bit.

perris January 15th, 2011 at 3:04 pm

late to the thread and probably mentioned before but this is no big mystery

the reason it went bad fast is the fact that obama has been nothing but the same as bush, a corporate tool, actually trying to solve economic problems from the top to “trickle down” when everyone knows the economy migrates up from labor to wealth not the other way around

and the fact that the president refused to hold war criminals accountable, actually facilitated their escape from prosecution not only in this country but abraud

add to that going back on all campaign promises, adding to giving telecom corps retroactive immunity for crimes and thefts against us

not to mention continuing the torture programs that we know create more terrorism

not to mention hiring the very criminals who brought our economy to it’s knees to the positions where they would continue their crimes and steel even more

not to mention refusing to hire the progressive economists we know as a fact have the knowledge to fix the economy

oh

did I say, I could go on and on

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Do you see your business (funny business, sure, but still your mission, right?) as more about afflicting the comfortable or comforting the afflicted?

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:05 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 115

I find it alarming that people are not waking up or that they do not want to let go of their skewed perceptions.

I recently read excerpts from a terrifying book about The Good Germans. It put the lie to the myth that citizens were all great wonderful people that were blind or lied to and didn’t know any better. Of course, there were some good germans, but plenty more were happy to go along with the persecution of innocents. It wasn’t willful ignorance or even simple ignorance. It was wholesale adoption of terrible and permissible persecution.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:05 pm

both, but here’s the thing: if preaching to the choir is a bad thing, why are churches full on Sunday?

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Has “eleven dimensional chess” made it into your strip yet?

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:06 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 120

Features a holographic Ayn Rand arguing with all the other characters…

Quick! Book her for “Glox and Friends.”

dakine01 January 15th, 2011 at 3:07 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 120

If you’re a fan of “strange but brilliant” you might like the book Kraken by China Mievelle that was a Book Salon a few months ago

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Hey Tom — Michael Moore here. How’s your civility these days?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Yeah a couple of times. In the health care debate when I was trying to highlight the fact that Obama & Co never had any intention of including public option, had in fact TRADED IT AWAY to hospital lobby before debate even went public — said maybe it’s 11th dimensional chess, or maybe it’s poker and he’s a lousy player. Tend to suspect the latter. Again, supporters were not pleased.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:08 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 129

Hey MM! Note to all — though some glitch is not showing his name this is probably the real Michael Moore, I set him up with a login earlier.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

There’s the name! Thanks for dropping by pal! Feeling pretty uncivil about gun massacres these days, you?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

My opposition to gun massacres is in fact downright offensive to gun enthusiasts, delicate flowers that they are.

person1597 January 15th, 2011 at 3:09 pm
In response to perris @ 122

@ 102 The goal of politics is to synchronize human behavior. We are always subjected to the manipulative influences of the political machines in order to guide the thinking that motivates the desired behavior. All the tools of mental manipulation are brought to bear to produce the desired outcome — be it economic policy, social acquiescence or cultural adaptation.

perris January 15th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

bmaz had this “dimensional chess” pegged as a myth from the very start

obama is a terrible “chess player”, he demonstrates absolutely no insight, forsight, hind sight

rather then “multi dimensional chess” he has demonstrated dimensia, I think then he plays “dimensia chess” rather then dimensional chess

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Michael is definitely one of my longtime inspirations, it has been an honor to also be able to call him a friend.

January 15th, 2011 at 3:10 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 133

“I’m offended by the way you phrased that.”

I laughed out loud!

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:10 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 129

oh. my. gawd.

I’m verklempt.

srsly, I do wish the nutjobs would stop with the Death Talk. Or do I only win if I wish my debate opponent dead?

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:10 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 133

Surely The Almost Invisible Hand is a member of the NRA . . .

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 3:11 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 133

Did you know that decrying violent inciteful language is every bit as violent and inciteful as the violent inciteful language itself?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

And of course Michael addressed the whole gun issue years ago with Bowling for Columbine.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:11 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 130

OMFG,
Just last weekend my dearest friend tried to tell me how, “Obamacare isn’t perfect, but they had to start somewhere…” She also believes he’s “trying to make good choices/compromises.”
*inarticulate shrieking*
What does one do with people who get news only from NPR and think they’re well-informed?!!!

What do you do on the days you start to believe you’re really the crazy one? Or don’t you have those? I do. I always come here to FDL for a Fact Infusion.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh, and wrote the foreword to TOO MUCH CRAZY.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:12 pm
In response to Eli @ 140

yeah, very intolerant of intolerance, dude.

PeasantParty January 15th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Tom, can you do a script for us regarding the “centrist” Dems and DLC type?

I can’t stand the fact they are colluding to take away Medicare. Granny is really going to have to eat dust bunnies.

perris January 15th, 2011 at 3:12 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 130

I believe that was reported here at the lake first and in fact he didn’t even “trade it away” he gave it away, getting nothing in return, being promised support yet those who promised STILL lobbied by proxie contributing to the right wing to put an end to the bill

in the end we wound up with a bill they wrote, they should be dancing in the streets for the bill they got and we got absolutely nothing in return except for lost seats

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:13 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 141

Loughner’s tattoo artist was quoted as saying “there goes a Columbine candidate” (after drawing a second bullet tat for him).

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:13 pm
In response to PeasantParty @ 145

Granny is really going to have to eat dust bunnies.

Actually, dust bunnies make an excellent seasoning for cat food.

RevBev January 15th, 2011 at 3:14 pm
In response to Eli @ 140

Yep. That call for civility has sent Laura Ingraham way ’round the bend…don’t know what got her.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:14 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 130

You know, with all due respect, you sounded like a sanctimonious purist just now.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I wrote about the likely bipartisan attack on social security which everone here will be familiar with … commenters at Salon responded “what are you talking about? NO one is going to attack social security!” I just had to wait another six months until catfood commission chairs issued first recommendations…

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Tom, you have to stop being so upset about gun massacres. Tone it down, buddy! Be civil! Guns don’t kill people — incivility does!

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:15 pm
In response to Eli @ 140

It’s MORE HATEFUL AND VIOLENT!!!
Get it right, Moonbat. It’s worse to be SHRILL than to do evil.

PeasantParty January 15th, 2011 at 3:15 pm
In response to Shoto @ 148

LOL! I guess they do! The VP’s new Chief of Staff will never know. He isn’t privy to such extravagant foods.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:16 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 152

Or, um, uncivil people WITH GUNS ….

wendydavis January 15th, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Kewl, Michael; nice to have you here, too!

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I think she was way ’round the bend long before that call for civility, but YMMV.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Tom Tomorrow and Michael Moore in the same thread? What a privilege!

PeasantParty January 15th, 2011 at 3:17 pm
In response to wendydavis @ 156

ABSOLUTELY! Michael, please visit us daily.

Beerfart Liberal January 15th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

me too. on a bus.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

You know, incivility is quite a money maker and in these economic times can we really afford to put an end to it?

perris January 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 129

wondering how often you stop by here at the lake mike, a pleasure being on the same thread

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Michael joined my wife and I for a Pearl Jam show at Madison Square Garden last spring … same night the band presented me with a personalized gold record. It was a fantastic evening all around.

RevBev January 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

No doubt…just really upped….

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm
In response to Shoto @ 158

ditto!

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

*swoon*

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:19 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 163

well, you’re kinda makin’ my day right now! very kewl.

person1597 January 15th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Slap slap…
How can change be embraced by a structure that caters to the perception [illusion] of well-being?

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:19 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 152

But only incivility from the DFHs of Teh Professional Left.

Anyone to the right of St Ronnie of Rayguns cannot, by definition, ever be uncivil. To even suggest such a possibility is an inexcusably mean incivility.

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:20 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 155

. . . and if you’re carrying a grudge against the world, everything looks like a target.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:20 pm
In response to person1597 @ 168

I am just a simple cartoonist raised by hillbillies.

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:20 pm

And Pearl Jam played Detroit’s MC5′s “Kick Out the Jams” for me! Hahahahaha! Great night. Except for that guy on 34th St…

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:21 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 172

Do you mind if we elaborate about that? Relevant to recent events.

CTuttle January 15th, 2011 at 3:21 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 152

*heh* And I thought I was cynical…

Aloha, MM… What a great pleasure to see you in these parts again…! 8-)

perris January 15th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

if mr moore has the chance to answer, I am wondering if you believe we were better off before the obama cave to the health insurance industry or if you believe as a whole it’s better having his bill then not

~~~Mod Note: Let’s try to stay on the topic of Too Much Crazy, please~~~

perris January 15th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

oh

eli, see if you can book mr moore for a book salon, that would be great!

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

yes, i think it’s ok. we know everyone here, right?

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Can I ask a question of MM and TT?

What keeps you going? What gives you hope?

RevBev January 15th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

O gee, Wonder if that’s why Ive started honking my horn all the time. What a tip.

wendydavis January 15th, 2011 at 3:23 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 163

Shoot; do we have to bring in the grammar police? The Queen just rolled over on her Penguin!

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:23 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 177

Michael and my wife and I were walking down, what, fifth or sixth ave, to MSG, discussing various threats he has received and dealt with over the years when a man walked by, looked him in the eye and made a “I’m shooting you” motion with his FINGER. It was pretty chilling.

SORRY editing I meant to write “finger” and wrote “gun”

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My wife and me if you prefer. I’m in quick response mode here.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:24 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 181

holy crap.

I’m sure it was MM’s fault the guy did that tho.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:24 pm
In response to dosido @ 178

Not to get all Jon Stewart on you here, but most ppl are fundamentally decent.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:25 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 181

Whoa…Bad. Did you report it?

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I’m dying over a Glox News piece that I somehow missed:

Our top story: A professional athlete has been caught inserting his reproductive tentacles into the breeding receptacles of an inappropriate breeding partner!

The athlete was quick to genuflect before his merchant-caste sponsors, but the important question remains — will they continue to supply him with the quantity of shiny stones to which he has become accustomed? . . .

The notion of aliens observing our civilization has been talked about by many people, but Glox News really makes it incredibly vivid and pointed. Was there something in particular that inspired you to start that?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:25 pm
In response to Shoto @ 185

Over and done, very quickly.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Yes. I was thinking about what our politics would look like to aliens, and just flipped the conceit on its head.

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Yes, we agreed it was my fault. After all, I was breathing.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

SORRY note edit above I had a brain-to-hand glitch. It was a finger making a gun motion, not an actual gun.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Still a very weird moment but admittedly not as weird as being threatened by an actual weapon. Which we were not.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:28 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 184

That is the main reason why I think it’s possible to create “trans-partisan” alliances on specific issues. The teabaggers, nutty as they are at times, are experiencing the same things as everyone else in this economy…no jobs, upside-down mortgages, foreclosures, etc. If, somehow, we could manage to peel them away from Glox long enough to give them some actual real information, I’m inclined to think it could make a difference.

Or maybe I’m just nuts.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:28 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 189

how dare you.

glad you got my tongue-in-cheekiness. a tea party leader actually said it was GG’s fault she was shot.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:29 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 189

And walking on a public sidewalk. So there ya go…

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:30 pm
In response to Shoto @ 192

Well the really disconcerting thing has been the GOP rapid transition back to power. Two years ago I genuinely thought they had screwed up so badly (per my cartoons in which Bush & Cheney are secretly leftists, deep undercover to discredit GOP forever) — am astonished and somewhat impressed that they managed to turn it around and blame Obama for problems he inherited. You gotta admire the ballsiness of that.

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 3:30 pm
In response to Shoto @ 192

Actually, I think there was a poll recently that showed that teabaggers tend to be more affluent and secure than the American population as a whole.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:30 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 190

Small favors, eh?

You know, in some places 5-year-olds get expelled from school for doing that (finger-shooting). Yet the grown-ups get to go to political rallies with live weapons strapped to their thighs or slung over their shoulders.

Oh, wait. Forgive me. That was a very uncivil observation to make. BAD Moonbat!

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I agree with Tom. You keep going because u realize most people are fundamentally decent and that throughout history things DO get better. It just takes a while with some things. Like racism. And violence. And ignorance.

Hmmmm… (how long do we have to wait?)

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:31 pm
In response to Eli @ 196

Told you I might be nuts. *g*

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:31 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 195

Um, I tend to think they have quite a lot of practice blaming others for their messes. but that’s just me.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:31 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 198

Srsly … I am 49 years old, and if you’d told me 20 years ago that gay marriage would seem like an inevitability, would be legal in IOWA, I would have thought you were insane. Things do progress, it’s just hard to see sometimes.

RevBev January 15th, 2011 at 3:32 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 198

And what else is on the list?

msmolly January 15th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I’ve been reading, not commenting. What a hoot to have Tom and Michael on the same thread! Bravo! I am gonna buy the book for sure!

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:32 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 195

It helps to have a completely captive press, aka Media-Industrial-Complex.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Civil rights. Equality of women.

Shoto January 15th, 2011 at 3:33 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 195

No small thanks to the MSM. Sort of alarming that Glox is leading the ratings in cable infotainment.

wendydavis January 15th, 2011 at 3:33 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 182

I just wanted to make a Penguin joke; fell flat, and I apologize.

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:33 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 188

Ever brought back folks from the past, to get their perspective on things? I’m imagining something like Abraham Lincoln walking into a Republican National Committee meeting . . . “States trying to nullify federal laws? Uh, folks — didn’t we fight a war about that back in the day?”

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

But I gotta say, anybody who’s ever driven through the Holland tunnel had to scratch their head at THAT being Jon Stewart’s example of human civility.

RevBev January 15th, 2011 at 3:34 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 205

For sure…and something about peace and not killing all those “other” folks; maybe some fairness for immigrants. Just thinking…thanks

msmolly January 15th, 2011 at 3:34 pm
In response to dosido @ 193

Our local rag published an editorial a couple of days ago that concluded with the suggestion that our public officials should “undertake realistic safety measures for their own safety and the safety of those around them.” Which is sorta like blaming Giffords for her own shooting.

I wrote an indignant LTE, waiting to see if they publish it.

wendydavis January 15th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Underwater Gulf Coast beings talking about what life’s like now?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I had a Time Traveller from the distant year of 2003 — which I first brought into the strip in 2004– but lately Ruben Bolling has been using a very similar character, so I’m not sure if he’ll be back.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Or even Dub-ya coming back…
“Oh, sure, _I_ blazed the Torture Trail and HE gets all the love! It’s Not Faiiiiiiir”

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Michael, hope I’m not being too obsequious, but I have to say you are one of the bravest people I know of.

I have trouble speaking my opinion out loud to my friends. You speak truth to power as a living. thanks.

Ugh. Now I have to think of something uncivil to say. crap.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:37 pm
In response to dosido @ 215

and it has its cost for him. Everyone should be grateful for his willingness to take a stand. Remember that speech at the Oscars? Seems like common sense now, was hugely courageous then.

openhope January 15th, 2011 at 3:38 pm
In response to Shoto @ 199

Actually, I think the ” nuts” part is believing you can have a rational conversation with Tea Baggers once they feel the pain of our economy.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

MM, if you’re still online — you ever reach a point where you’re ready to say, fuck it, I’ve done my bit, time to retire to Michigan?

PeasantParty January 15th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I am very thankful for HIM. He told us all about the Insurance scams and made sure our inside thoughts were put out for all to see! I’m also thankful for Assange.

I also think Obama’s call for civility is another sit down and STFU so we can keep doing what we’re doing. He knows the righties are not going to back down an inch.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:39 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 216

yes, I’m behind you both 100%, coward that I am. These anger freaks scare the living poo out of me.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:40 pm
In response to PeasantParty @ 219

He’s President, he said what he had to say. I don’t expect a speech to change anything, but I found it appropriate.

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:41 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 198

I was speaking with a documentary filmmaker just yesterday about that: she was very moved when I noted that there is an entire generation of LGBT activists who, like me, came of age politically in the 1970s and will probably die of old age without becoming full and complete partners in the American civic experience.

I don’t think I would have believed that if you’d told me that was the case when I started out then. And I’m not sure that “waiting” is what we’ve been doing, either.

The idea that justice moves at glacial pace is very discouraging.

PeasantParty January 15th, 2011 at 3:41 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 221

True! It just hits us Progressives hard. I just think he has caused the Dems to push closer to center right and keeps pushing.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:42 pm
In response to msmolly @ 211

Yeah, it’s called local police? Perhaps we can create some jobs for Xe?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I hear you totally — but think of how far LGBT has come since, say, Stonewall.

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:42 pm
In response to msmolly @ 203

I am going to buy TWO books!

Rayne January 15th, 2011 at 3:43 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 201

Wow, we’re born within a year of each other, and I thought way back when I graduated from high school that it was only a matter of time before gays had equal rights.

But then I must have mistaken the acceptance of Billy Crystal’s character Jodie on the popular TV comedy series Soap for public acceptance of gays as a whole.

Or optimism is distributed more unevenly than is the future.

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Yes, i have that thought at least once a day. I hate to admit it, but I feel discouraged a lot. And then it goes away. I was listening to a MArtin Luther King speech on the radio today and that’s all he talked about — being discouraged. About how so thoroughly discouraged he was. Ironically, it was inspiring!

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:44 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 209

My reaction to Stewart’s invocation of the Holland Tunnel merge as civil was that a LOT had changed since my Jersey childhood.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:44 pm
In response to PeasantParty @ 223

I hate it that you and TT are both right.
Some days it just SUCKS to have self-awareness and a conscience…

AdamWaxman January 15th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Big fan of your work, Dan/Tom…proud owner of “Too Much Crazy.”

To Mr. Moore, also been a fan of your films, really enjoyed “Capitalism.” Got to see it at the DC premier, and couldn’t help thinking while watching it that, if you haven’t started on your next project yet, your next film should be about Christianity…it seems like you would do a thoughtful and interesting job.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:46 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 228

And I’ve got the additional whammy of my entire profession disintegrating. I used to run in maybe 150 papers, I’m down to half of that. I always expected it to a certain extent — when you run every week, ppl just get sick of your style after awhile. & new owners of Village Voice chain deciding to axe all cartoons was a kneecapper — I lost a dozen major American cities in a single phone call. It was a nuclear first strike on my career. So it can be discouraging.

On the other hand, sometimes I think it wouldn’t be the worst thing to hang up the weekly deadline and focus on some other forms of expression at some point. I’ve got a couple books I want to write, and never seem to have the time or leftover creative energy. That weekly deadline’s relentless!

PeasantParty January 15th, 2011 at 3:47 pm
In response to Funnydiva2002 @ 230

Thanks, I don’t want to be right. I just want the truth.

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Well, i for one won’t rest until you have the same rights I have. It WILL happen in your lifetime. This next generation of young people will see to this.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:48 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 234

Agreed.

openhope January 15th, 2011 at 3:49 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 228

It’d be a sad day to hear about your retirement. If anyone deserves some quiet time it’s you. Thank you for all the truly amazing work you’ve done for our country.
Besides, I’ve heard retirement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. *g*

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:49 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 232

publishing has always been a rough business.

what do you do when you are stuck for an idea? Call Michael?

LibWingofLibWing January 15th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Tom, I want to thank you specifically for the cartoon where Obama is Barrington Chadsworth. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve linked to or embedded that cartoon in a blog comment.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:49 pm
In response to dosido @ 237

wait for the muse to deliver. And annoy my family with my irritability.

PeasantParty January 15th, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Mr. Moore, I loved your episodes in front the banks. I think we all want to do that.

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Ha! wrote that one while in the hospital (nothing serious, in retrospect). Was never entirely sure if it was too many layers of complexity.

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:50 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 232

I’m a pastor — I know all about that weekly deadline.

msmolly January 15th, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Well, there’s only one of me to read. LOL

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:51 pm

there you go. and about preaching to the choir, I imagine.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:51 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 239

lol. creative birthing pains?

is there a short list of the execution of ideas you are most proud of?

eCAHNomics January 15th, 2011 at 3:52 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 205

As a retired female Wall St. economist, I’d seriously dispute gender equality. Wall St. is a real throwback to neanderthals, but women economywide still earn somewhere bet 70-80 cents on the dollar.

LibWingofLibWing January 15th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I also need to tell you I made an Xtranormal cartoon of the “Who’s On First” comedy bit using real names, like President Hu of China. I used you in that bit, Tom. lol

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Don’t suppose you’ve got the link handy so I can refresh my memory?
Thx in advance…

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:52 pm
In response to dosido @ 245

I’m never entirely satisified with my work in the immediate aftermath of its production. But one of the reasons these books matter to me — and that I hope to keep producing them — is that it gives me a chance every couple of years, when I have enough distance on the cartoons, to look back and realize that I’m actually pretty proud of the work.

Rayne January 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm
In response to AdamWaxman @ 231

Yes, thanks for bringing up that movie.

Michael, I have wondered since I saw your movie “Capitalism: A Love Story” whether the family who was evicted from that ranch home in the Midwest ever followed up on the possibility there could have been foreclosure fraud?

I remember sitting in the audience feeling like I’d been hit by a bolt of lightning when I saw MERS appear on the documents as the connection between your hometown of Flint and MERS was made.

And for Tom: I’m wondering if you have a project in the pipeline which might be targeting the banksters? There just so much tragi-comedy in their tanking of our economy, as Matt Taibbi showed in Griftopia.

Peterr January 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 244

You preach to the choir, and they give you the energy right back, multiplied. That’s what gives you the strength to preach to everyone else.

Don’t knock preaching to the choir.

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 232

I’d love to read one of those books you’re thinking of writing. Plus, I’m sure Pearl Jam would make you part of the group!

TO Adam: thanks for the movie idea but, like i said at the end of “Capitalism,” no more movies from me until I see more people off their butts and raising hell. And I mean Americans, not Tunisians. (They did that in Tunisia in 29 days? What’s OUR excuse?

msmolly January 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm
In response to dosido @ 224

The whole tone of the editorial was “tsk tsk all of this vitriol” but then concluded with the idea that it is the victim’s responsibility to protect not only him/herself but also the citizenry who wants to talk to them. Grrr.

LibWingofLibWing January 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm
In response to Funnydiva2002 @ 248

no. You’ll have to buy the book!

person1597 January 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 232

Believe it or not, no matter who you are or what you may think, you are a prisoner of your own culture. What could be worse than to using thought to justify giving up something real — like life — for something unreal — like ideology?

Hey, enjoy being alive! Throw down an anchor while the tide goes out… Watch the other boats struggle in vain to pass you…

BevW January 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

As we come to the end of this great Book Salon,

Tom, Thank you for stopping by the Lake and spending the afternoon with us discussing your new book and politics.

Eli, Thank you very much for Hosting this great Book Salon.

A special Thank You to Michael Moore for stopping by today.

Tom’s website and books.

Have a great evening!

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:54 pm
In response to Rayne @ 250

I’ve done a number of cartoons on foreclosure fraud and the banksters in general.

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Speaking about process and technique, I think it’s really cool that you re-use characters exactly as they appeared before, Tom. It helps me know who they are, and allows a creative shorthand in the strip that must enable you to remove words as well. Not just talking about recognizable public figures, but your Joe and Jane Citizen as well.

Do they all have names, in your world?

eCAHNomics January 15th, 2011 at 3:54 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 252

What’s your next movie?

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:54 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 257

Whoops I guess we’re ending. In response to Michael: I keep hoping PJ will make me the guy who stands on the side of the stage with a tambourine! But not yet.

Thanks everybody for hanging out. Thanks MM for dropping by. See you…yes, in the funny pages.

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:54 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 235

Thank you both.

Rayne January 15th, 2011 at 3:55 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 257

Yup, and I tear up and laugh at the same time I read every one of them. Just wondered if you had enough material for a book.

What the hell — they’re making a jillion bucks off this debacle, why not you, too? ;-)

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 3:56 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 257

They’re in the book, hint hint.

AdamWaxman January 15th, 2011 at 3:56 pm

For the record this is probably my favorite TMW cartoon: http://www.salon.com/entertainment/comics/this_modern_world/1999/12/20/tomo/index.html

wendydavis January 15th, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Michael; can you say how it really felt to discover via Wikileaks that you were so targeted with discrediting, and did it cause you to wonder if more…well…plots>/i> were afoot than that? (if ‘discrediting’ is a word)

Beerfart Liberal January 15th, 2011 at 3:57 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 232

ouch.

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

See you in the funny papers.

Michael Moore January 15th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thanks Tom — and everybody out there, be sure to order his book!

Eli January 15th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for joining us, Tom! And Michael Moore as well!

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

boo! it’s over? can’t we overstay our welcome like inlaws during the holidays? can’t we stay up just another hour? oops, that doesn’t sound right…

CTuttle January 15th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Sing those hymns…! ;-)

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

It was fun!

Tom Tomorrow January 15th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Would stay overtime but I gotta start getting my kid to bed. We’re currently reading Danny Dunn books — a holdover from my own childhood.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

thanks to you all. loved it!

RevBev January 15th, 2011 at 3:59 pm
In response to dosido @ 270

Yep…we’ll just be on our own. Good to see you….;)

eCAHNomics January 15th, 2011 at 4:00 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 273

I took advantage of being a mom by reading my son classic kids books I MISSED in my own childhood.

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 4:00 pm

May I also recommend Danny, Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. It’s so awesome for reading aloud. I think you might appreciate the story, too.

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 4:01 pm
In response to Michael Moore @ 268

Ha! I think I’m going to order ALL his books, so there!

So glad you were here, Mr M!

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I made the mistake of reading one too many “dead dogs” stories to my kids one summer. They were fine. I was a blubbering mess. not pretty.

CTuttle January 15th, 2011 at 4:01 pm
In response to Tom Tomorrow @ 272

Mahalo Nui Loa Tom…! *g*

dosido January 15th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

hiya, revbev.

I have an empty house today and am really indulging in the Lake today. But i’ll have to dash soon as well even though I wanted the party to go on and on. :)

Funnydiva2002 January 15th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Thank you, everyone! What a great Book Salon!

Rayne January 15th, 2011 at 4:05 pm
In response to Eli @ 263

And it’s in my shopping cart, Eli, hope it’s in many other shopping carts, too.

With all the continuing crap from the banksters — like JPMorgan Chase licking its chops over next quarter already, and Tim Geithner saying risk is whatever he says it is, just in the last week alone — a dedicated banksters-only book seems like it’s in the realm of possibility.

Kind of like Capitalism: A Love Story, but with snarky penguins, you know?

openhope January 15th, 2011 at 4:08 pm
In response to Rayne @ 284

I’m calling our local bookstore Monday and ordering a copy, if they don’t already have them in stock.
No Amazon for me.

eCAHNomics January 15th, 2011 at 4:09 pm
In response to dosido @ 280

The “classics” I was referring to were pretty plebian, like Nancy Drew, Bobsey Twins. Things that were part of the U.S. ‘culture’ that I had missed.

Don’t merember any dead dog stories.

Usually, I fell asleep while reading before he did.

rosalind January 15th, 2011 at 4:11 pm

for those wanting to see barrington in action: salon link

Beerfart Liberal January 15th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

lotta fun

Teddy Partridge January 15th, 2011 at 4:19 pm
In response to Rayne @ 284

I’m heading over to Powells right now to get my two copies; they have four in stock, so maybe they’ll reorder!

person1597 January 15th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Jane lambasting Dems then…

Until they are willing to organize and do battle with the beast where it lives they will continue to be scattered and picked off one by one by the GOP machine and no amount of “comity” will ever change it.

Jane’s 2011 viewpoint

But that’s really just the tip of the iceberg. The real bounty will be in the looting of natural resources, facilitated by the demonization of the EPA and fueled by a public desperate for jobs. Meanwhile, the tax dollars that could be supporting these public services continue to flow out the door in support of wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Joe Lieberman’s Homeland Security State.

Welcome to 2011.

Hey, fire up some O’glakes! And take some friendly hillbilly advice…

“if we are going to do things like this, we sure as hell better make sure we are on the winning side”